With Growing use of Social media in the daily life, it has become quite easy for Burglars and thieves to get your whereabouts and target your home or belongings.
Thieves turn to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms to find information about you.
How do they do it?
- With the location check in feature, you tend to inform your entire social media network about your whereabouts. Where you are, your travel pattern etc.
- Intelligently searched in Facebook, twitter can target people who are likely to be out of country or away from home for a long period of time.
- Users with open profiles are vulnerable by Facebook open graph for targeting.
- Many of the social media platforms are showing the location data of the user by Geo tagging, posting coordinates etc. For someone who is stalking you or targeting you, it’s very helpful for them to ascertain where is your exact location.
- Meta data contained in images has a lot of hidden information like location data etc. Pictures clicked on iPhone has location information etc. Though a few social media sites removes the metadata from the images but not all external sites do.
How can you secure yourself?
- Stop automatically sharing your location on mobile phones, social media etc. Keeping the location on all the time is risky.
- Do not share your address on open social media platforms, if you need to do it, do it in private chats with concerned persons only.
- Share information with friends only on social media, do not share it with friends of friends or everyone on the internet.
- Location checkin on social media can be risky too which discloses your location information to everyone.
- Do not blindly share your personal details with everyone, it’s not worth the risk.
- Accept friend requests from people whom you really know, accepting friend requests from everyone is extremely risky.
Simple precautions will avoid a lot of hassles. Be Safe!.